Macatawa and Wintrust Announcement
man on phone and laptop 

Stopping a payment

Learn about stopping payments.

What can I Stop Payment on?
You can request to Stop Payment (also known as Stop Pay) on a check, a series of checks, an ACH transaction or all future ACH transactions from a specific merchant. 

Can I Stop Payment on a debit card transaction?
No, Stop Payments may not be placed on debit card purchases. If you feel you have been charged for something inaccurately, you may file a dispute by calling  877-820-2265.  

How do I Stop Payment?
It depends. If you have a single check you want to stop payment on, you can complete the entire Stop Pay process inside of online banking.  For a series of checks or ACH transactions, we ask you to stop by the Macatawa Bank location nearest you to sign the forms. Our Customer Experience Hub can also assist with Stop Payment requests.  They can be reached at 877-820-2265.

How long is a Stop Payment valid for?  
Oral requests are valid for 14 days.  Written requests are valid for 6 months.  

Where can I Stop Payment for a check inside of online banking?
After you log in to your online banking, select the checking account that the check was written off of.  Below the word Checking and your shortened account number, and above Account Information, you will see several options.  Select “Stop Payments”, complete the online form, preview the Stop Payment and submit. 

Do I get charged a fee if I Stop a Payment?
Yes, there is a per item fee that is charged to your account.  To find the current Stop Payment fee, please contact your local branch or call 877-820-2265.

Have questions?

We would be happy to help you with any questions. Call us at (877) 820-2265 or email us for assistance.

Learn about Online Banking  

Branch locations 

We're happy to help.

Looking for answers? Need some sound advice? Want to talk over your financial options? Fill out the form below and we'll be in touch.
* = Required field.

Preferred form of contact*